What you need to know about Leaky GUT Syndrome. Leaky GUT is very often present in people who suffer with chronic, unresolved health issues. It’s important to understand that even if your doctor acknowledges GUT permeability, most have not been trained how to address restoring the health of the GUT. As a consequence many people continue to decline until they have a full blown acute health problem.
This is part two of my series on Leaky GUT. You can read the first part here: Leaky GUT Part 1
How prevalent is leaky GUT?
- Naturopathic doctors say as many as 70% of their clients have Leaky GUT.
- Anyone of any age can develop Leaky Gut Syndrome. High risk individuals are anyone who regularly takes ant-acids (PPI’s); steroids; NSAID’s; Chemotherapy or anti-biotics. These medications damage the intestinal walls anyone taking these long term is likely to suffer from Leaky GUT. People with digestive problems, typically has an underlying Leaky Gut condition.
- Other factors that increase the likelihood you probably have this condition include; routinely consuming large amounts of alcohol; caffeine or eat a diet high in refined carbohydrates and chemical food additives. This means that people who consume the Standard American Diet (SAD) are in the high risk group for developing Leaky GUT.
- Anyone with food intolerance or yeast almost always has a Leaky GUT too.
- Anyone with a compromised immune system; especially those with an autoimmune condition, likely has GUT permeability.
- Experts in the field of holistic digestive health like Dr. Liz Lipsky, PhD tell us that risk of Leaky GUT increases if you have been exposed to environmental toxins or heavy metals.
- Besides exposure from drinking water, anyone with mercury dental fillings is being exposed harmful toxins as they break down over time.
How Leaky GUT leads to damage in other parts of the body
Repetitive exposure to hundreds of household and environmental chemicals stresses the immune system and decreases the body’s ability to repair itself. Over time this inability to repair damaged intestinal walls spreads and other parts of our body become weakened and more susceptible to damage.
Leaky GUT overburdens the liver diminishing the liver’s ability to neutralize chemical substances. When it cannot cope with the level of toxins, the liver expels them back into the bloodstream. When this happens connective tissue; which is a kind of biological tissue that supports, connects, or separates different types of tissues and organs of the body, breaks down and our body loses trace minerals like calcium, magnesium and potassium. Environmental chemicals also deplete the body’s reserves of buffering minerals, causing acidosis in the cells and tissue and cell swelling increasing the opening in between the junctions…aka: leaky gut.
As these intestinal wall junctions become larger pathogens, such as bacteria, parasites and fungi are allowed to damage the GUT. With 80% of our immunity residing in our GUT you can begin to see how this kind of damage degrades the body’s most important defenses against disease.
While there are tests to measure intestinal permeability such as the Comprehensive Stool Analysis and Organic Acids test other tests such as IgG/IgA anti-body testing and MRT Testing for food intolerance and candida are very helpful in identifying candidates for Leaky GUT as these conditions always need GUT repair.
Health conditions associated with Leaky GUT
- All Auto-immune diseases
- Chronic Fatigue
- Candida / Yeast overgrowth
- Crohns Disease
- Elevated Epstein Barr
- Neurological Issues: Depression, Autism Spectrum Disorder
There is also a growing body of holistic and function medicine practitioners who believe that even disease states such as cancer and congestive heart failure can be directly correlate with incidence of a damaged GUT. This makes complete sense when you remember that inflammation is increased as a result of Leaky GUT and inflammation is the driver of all chronic disease.
How do you fix a Leaky GUT?
Just as this condition develops over time so to a multi-pronged approach must be taken to “fix” the Leaking GUT. The process can take several months to a year to complete and that’s why I have created a unique approach to help you resolve this issue I call my Healing from Within Program
I Remove foods that lead to the condition and environmental factors that created the problem in the first place. See http://nourishholisticnutrition.com/toxins-detoxification/what-happens-when-you-detox/
II Replace these wrong foods and toxic substances with proper, healing foods. Reduce exposures to environmental toxins. See http://nourishholisticnutrition.com/toxins-detoxification/should-you-detox-can-detoxing-improve-your-health/
III Restore proper digestive function with nutrients in specific probiotic and enzyme rich foods, essential fatty acids and supplements. This improves absorption of nutrients and minerals required for every metabolic process in the body.
IV Repair the GUT lining using specific foods and healing nutrients to quiet the body’s up-regulated defenses mechanism and inflammation response so healing of the GUT wall (those widened cell junctions) can begin. This also aids proper digestion and absorption of nutrients. In turn, immunity is increased and the body is able to protect itself again.
Can you see now why it’s essential to address Leaky GUT and how this syndrome can lead to many more serious disease states if left uncorrected? Addressing your digestive health and repairing a damaged GUT is required in order to regain energy, improve nutrient absorption and repair a compromised immune system.
Could you have leaky GUT? Download the questionnaire to find out: Leaky GUT Q’s
Are you ready to stop feeling like your body is working against you and reclaim vibrant health?
Take the next step and contact me Are We A Fit?
I teach people just like you how to transform from hopeless to happy again every day. Very often these people tell me that working with me was the catalyst for so many other positive transformations in their lives.
Digestive Wellness, by Dr. Elizabeth Lipsky, 2004 McGraw Hill Publishing Digestive Wellness