Being stuck indoors for months on end we are exposed to many things that are not always the healthiest for us, in fact many of the products you use every day to clean your home you may think are perfectly safe are actually pretty toxic. And if you have read any of my previous posts on detoxing or if you are a current client you know how important reducing your toxic load is on your liver and overall health!
During the winter months when it’s too cold to open windows and fresh air exposure is limited its good to be aware of ways to reduce your exposure to these contaminates and know some non-toxic alternatives you can turn to. By following these tips as well as others I have posted regarding detoxification you can improve your body’s ability to do it’s daily work of keeping you healthy.
1. When the weather is too cold to open windows consider investing in a room air cleaner for your bedroom and don’t use commercial air fresheners as these contain volatile organic compounds (VOCs). Many of these products contain toxic phthalates or other hazardous substances under U.S. federal laws. Phthalates are a group of chemicals often used in fragrances and also used to soften plastics. Studies show that phthalates disrupt hormones in animals.
2. Salt rock lamps are another great, natural option. Salt rock crystals actually emit negatively charged ions into the atmosphere. This restores and neutralizes the air from positively charged ions emitted from electrical appliances and electronics like televisions, computers, fluorescent lighting, microwaves, heaters and air-conditioners. Balancing negative and positive ions helps reduce airborne infections. Read more here: Himalayan_Crystal_Rock_Salt_Its_Qualities_and_Heal
3. Another way to refresh the air is to buy some houseplants. Houseplants act as natural air filters and take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen.
4. Encase your pillows and mattress to protect against dust mites. You can also deter these using a special essential oil blend – Thieves Spray is one I really like that also kills dust mites and smells simply wonderful.
5. Buy HEPA furnace filters and replace them every 2 months. Vacuuming with a HEPA filter also helps get rid of other toxins, like brominated fire-retardant chemicals (PBDEs) as well as allergens like pollen, pet dander, and dust mites. Getting your furnace and duct work professionally cleaned every five years also reduces recirculating dust and grime.
6. Switch to non-toxic household cleaners (or make your own). Check out this link: live_nontoxic_solutions.htm
The petroleum distillates and solvents in commercial furniture polish are highly neurotoxic. Make your own furniture polish by combining 10 drops lemon oil; 2 tablespoons lemon juice; and a few drops olive oil or jojoba. Tea tree oil,
7. Essential oils (especially citrus oils) are wonderful diffused into the air. These don’t just cover up cooking odors either they actually cross the blood brain barrier so they have powerful therapeutic properties and help lift our spirits too. Some blends such as Thieves work to destroy molds, mildew and are naturally antimicrobial. Citrus fresh is a blend of several oils that is especially nice diffused.
8. Stop using toss in fabric softeners. Instead add a 1/2 cup of baking soda to the water in your washing machine and let it dissolve prior to adding your clothes. According to the Allergy and Environmental Health Association, both liquid and dryer sheet fabric softeners are “the most toxic product produced for daily household use.”
– Most of the popular brands of fabric softeners contain many neurotoxins (substances that are toxic to the brain and nervous system) and other types of toxins. You can add a fresh natural scent in the dryer by using natural Lemon or Orange Essential Oils to a microfiber cloth and tossing this in with your clothes. If you don’t want to bother with making your own at least switch to eco-friendly brands like Seventh Generation of Mrs. Myers – both are good options.
9. Remember to run exhaust fans in bathrooms for a full thirty minutes after showering to help reduce mold and mildew from forming. Thieves Essential Oil and water also makes a good mold killer and is a natural deodorizer. I use these to clean and disinfect my own bathroom and kitchen. Thieves essential oil household cleaning concentrate leaves a wonderful scent too.
10. If you’re planning on purchasing new furniture beware of off gassing of formaldehyde and flame retardant chemicals used in the manufacture of these products. If you can allow the furniture to sit in your garage for a few days before bringing them into your house this will help to vent these toxic gasses away. You should leave the door to your garage open as much as you can to allow these gasses to escape. Ready made draperies and bedding often also are treated with these chemicals so launder or air out before using in your home to prevent off-gassing contamination.
11. Remove shoes when entering the home so that nasty germs and other toxic compounds don’t end up on your floors and carpets. And of course regular vacuuming and washing of floors (with non-toxic cleaning products or vinegar and water) is a good act of prevention. I also wash the bottoms of my shoes regularly and disinfect with Thieves spray.
12. Invest in a radon detector. Radon is a colorless, odorless gas that is naturally occurring in the ground and it can kill you. Granite counter tops have also been linked to radon. While experts agree that most granite counter tops emit some radon, the question is whether they do so at levels that can cause cancer. You can download a copy of the EPA’s Guide to Radon Reduction here: consguid.pdf
It’s also a good idea to test your home for asbestos and led if you live in a home that was built between 1920 – 1950.
If you are interested in the purchase the specific essential oils mentioned or the Thieves line of herbal disinfecting products in this post please contact me as I do stock many of them or can order them for you.
Are you ready to stop feeling like your body is working against you and reclaim vibrant health?
Want to eliminate the tri-fecta of modern living; poor sleep, chronic pain and low energy?
I teach people just like you how to transform from hopeless to happy again every day. Very often these people tell me that working with me was the catalyst for so many other positive transformations in their lives.
Take the next step and contact me to see if we are a fit: